Sunday, February 2, 2014

Lanolin Salve Stick: Testers Wanted!

It's just been one of those winters.  Not just here in Vermont, either.  My chickens have stopped laying, the goats remain bedded down most of the day, and the dogs make quick work of going outside to take care of business. Uugh. My lips and cheeks are raw after working outside in this bitter, winter air.

 I'm a *huge* fan of lanolin, and for years have slathered it over my cracked, chapped, and windblown skin.  In my humble opinion, nothing works better! One of the problems with lanolin though is that it is very sticky and very thick (and some say very stinky), and unless you melt it a little bit, it's almost impossible to spread over sore and damaged skin. Ouch.

A couple of winters ago I developed a lanolin salve where I blended lanolin with some butters and skin friendly oils so that the lanolin could be applied more easily. (See our online store for more info.) This year, I wanted to take that same concept but put it in a stick form.  I wanted something small that I could carry in my pocket or purse, formulated for delicate facial skin. I wanted it easy to apply to lips, cheeks, and that tender place between your nose and your upper lip that gets so darn raw when you've got a cold, wet nose.  I wanted serious lip and skin protection that would glide on without pulling.

I've been tinkering with different formulas all season, and have finally settled on one I love! It's made with lots of pure, medical grade lanolin and organic cocoa butter blended with infused olive oil from our friend Carly at Vermana Herbals.  If you don't know about Carly and the good work she does, Carly makes the most wonderful, healing infusions and tinctures from "micro-local" Vermont organic plants and herbs.  For this formula, I used Carly's calendula, comfrey, chamomile, and plantain infusion.  I also added a few drops of Frankincense and lavender essential oils to the formula, both of which are known to help heal chapped skin.

(By the way, incase you are wondering, medical grade lanolin is natural lanolin that has been filtered.  It's a little less odoriferous than regular lanolin and very pure.)

I have a small batch of sticks ready for testing, and would love a few "tester" volunteers, especially those who have issues with chapped lips and facial skin.  Interested in helping? Free salve stick for a little feedback!  :)  Just comment below or send me an email to let me know.  Thanks!

For more info on Carly and Vermana Herbals, please visit her website, www.vermanaherbals.com.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Marcia - I thought of you today as I wrapped a soap to give to a friend for her birthday. I know she will love it. If you need a Southern tester, send one my way. I'm a lip balm fanatic and have tubes all over the house and car. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Holly- Thanks for offering. I would love to have you as a Southern tester!
    I am flattered to have our soaps gifted to your friend on her birthday. Thank you for thinking of me and for sharing our products. I'll get your salve stick out to you shortly! Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to be a tester. I just placed a soap order if you wanted to include it! I'm a Carmex fiend but maybe you can change my mind :-) Cindy Miner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Cindy- I've got one on the way to you! Thanks for volunteering. :) I used carmex for years, but discovered that the camphor in it actually made my lips worse. I'll look forward to your feedback!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete