Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Year of the Rabbit

I know Chinese Astrology says this is the year of the snake, but around here it is the year of the rabbit.    We've had years where it was clearly the year of the snake when every venture outdoors yielded a sighting, a couple years where we were overrun with mice, and one very miserable year where we endured a wave of field rats.  Eeeww.  This year, it's definitely the rabbits, and I'm delighted!

I have a thing for rabbits.  I'm not sure why really, but I just do.  

Our very wet spring and summer has made keeping a tidy and mowed lawn a real challenge.  Well, that, and the fact that our mower has broken and been in the shop three times.  And don't even peek at our flowerbeds!  It's really embarrassing. Anyway, all this water and our lack of keeping up with the weeds has made our place a haven for wildlife.  We've seen all sorts of critters, but the rabbit family that has moved in is by far my favorite. 

Papa Rabbit is huge, and I don't see him very often.  He must hang out somewhere in the back pasture.  Another adult, I think a female and I'm guessing the Momma, is always near the goat barn at dusk when I am out doing farm chores.  Two baby rabbits were born this year.  The first one was just a wild thing, dashing around, running from bush to bush, and back and forth across the street.  Unfortunately, she was run over by the UPS truck.  It wasn't unexpected the way she was always flying around, but I still got pretty upset by the whole ordeal, and removed her from the road.  Have you ever looked closely at a rabbit's skin?  I was amazed at how delicate and transparent it was.  I guess that's why so many cosmetic firms have done testing on rabbits' eyes and skin over the years.  (We don't test our products on animals!)

The other baby is alive and well, is very calm, and moves at a much more reasonable pace.  Every morning, and every evening, I have the great pleasure of watching him nibble his way through the clover next to our front door.  It has been great fun watching him grow from a little tiny thing into a healthy sized juvenile.  When he was smaller, Momma was always close by.  She'd often sit in the shadow of the car, or in the taller grasses and plants, keeping a watchful eye. Nowadays he's usually on his own. Sometimes I leave scraps out there for him to discover, but mostly I just watch from the window and enjoy.   




My view from the window.  Look close to the driveway, near the lily of the valley plants.

Here he is zoomed in a little bit.  The photo is shot through the screen so it's a little distorted.
And here he is up close.  



























No comments:

Post a Comment